Last week we had Jesse Miller in to guest lecture our 336 class. Jesse works in the field of research that explores how people interact with the internet and technology, and how that exploration effects society, either positively or negatively. Here are some of the places you can find more information on what Jesse does!

twitter

website

I thought that Jesse really opened up some important conversations we need to be having as we enter our careers as teachers. Most of us are on cloud-based platforms and social media platforms such as facebook, instagram and snapchat and we need to know navigate this appropriately.

Each school district has their own rules and regulations around consent and information storage. The BC government created this document to help these districts better understand the laws and how to get consent.

BC Cloud Computing Guidelines

It is also valuable to have and thoroughly understand the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act here.

As educators we have a responsibility to understand the rules and restrictions around internet use and uphold these standards as we enter the education profession. We need to understand concepts such as what personal information is composed of, the personal choice of online privacy, duty of care, cloud based media movement, appropriate consent. Being comfortable and familiar with these additional resources can help with this!

Privacy Education for Kids

Information Security Awareness

MediaSmarts: Canada’s Centre for Digital and Media Literacy

The main takeaway from Jesse’s presentation for me was just to be educated on these things! Know the regulations in my school districts and understand what that means for me on a daily basis. This will allow me to positively navigate online networks and platforms!